Atlantic Canada successful in its bid for Canada’s Ocean Supercluster!
Friday, February 23, 2018
The federal government has announced Atlantic Canada’s successful proposal for an Ocean Supercluster.
One of five superclusters receiving federal support up to $950 million in funding, the Ocean Supercluster is a private sector-led partnership bringing companies together to boost innovation and modernization in Canada's ocean industries.
Companies from different ocean sectors, from large multinationals like Clearwater and Emera, to small to medium-sized business like Ocean Sonics, Metamaterial Technologies, MetOcean Telematics, will co-invest to adopt and commercialize technologies to solve shared challenges.
A tremendous opportunity for the Atlantic Canada region, the Ocean Supercluster will develop and retain workforce talent, improve supply chain opportunities, and foster ocean start-ups to build the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem, all backed by industry investment and matched federal funding.
Potential outcomes include:
- Strengthening links between ocean-based value chains and providers of enabling technologies
- Developing, deploying, and exporting innovative technology platforms applicable to multiple ocean industries
- Filling capability gaps in the innovation ecosystem through the attraction, recruitment, training, and retention of diverse, highly qualified personnel
- Extending the global reach, attraction, network and market opportunities for Ocean Supercluster partners
- Addressing global challenges related to sustainability, reducing carbon footprint and improving energy efficiency
This opportunity puts Nova Scotia on the global stage for innovation in our Oceans industries.
For more information, please see: https://oceansupercluster.ca/