Forestry Innovation Rebate Program
Be more competitive and increase innovation capacity.
The Forestry Innovation Rebate Program supports Nova Scotia businesses in the forest sector looking to increase their competitiveness. The program provides financial incentives on projects that enable a company to increase innovation capacity through private-sector capital investments or adoption of new technologies and business processes.
The Forestry Innovation Rebate Program will work as a rebate against a company’s direct costs. Eligible expenditures will include direct costs of Eligible Projects as defined in the Forestry Innovation Rebate Program Guidelines.
An Eligible Project is a project approved by NSBI, for purposes of the Forestry Innovation Rebate Program, and may include:
- Implementation of new or significantly improved production processes or by-product stream processing;
- Establishment of new forest sector production facilities in Nova Scotia that strengthen regional economies;
- Diversification of the sector’s product range & value-added products while enhancing productivity and competitiveness;
- Investment in production capacity to enter new markets and/or produce new products;
- Roll out of pilot scale demonstration projects that prove and assess next-generation products and services;
- Identify new uses for wood fibre and new markets for the new products;
- Projects that enhance exports and address phytosanitary requirements
Any project that negatively impacts Nova Scotia’s preferred status with the United States Department of Commerce regarding countervailing duties and anti dumping duties will be considered ineligible.
An Eligible Project must have a total budgeted Nova Scotia investment (excluding tax) of not less than $1,000,000. The maximum amount of Eligible Project Costs to which the Forestry Innovation Rebate Program will be applied is $15,000,000.
Eligible Projects must be approved by NSBI prior to September 30, 2021.
How to Apply
Connect with a Regional Business Development Advisor to confirm eligibility and discuss next steps.
For complete program details or assistance in completing the application form, please contact the Regional Business Development Advisor for your region.