Export Growth Program
Does your business’ export plan include attending virtual trade shows or travel outside of the province?
NSBI remains committed to supporting the export efforts of our clients, and the Export Growth Program supports businesses looking to increase their export sales outside Nova Scotia. The program provides financial incentives for projects that assist a business’ ability to overcome barriers to export growth. This includes:
- Mitigating in-person and virtual trade show/conference costs by funding participation fees, conference fees and physical or virtual booth space.
- Supporting travel to a market within Canada before March 31, 2021 associated with visiting a client, potential partner, or investor.
- Inviting a client and/or potential partner from Canada to visit the Nova Scotia operation.
All eligible businesses are able to apply for 50% of eligible project costs to a maximum of $15,000 CAD per fiscal year. Businesses that have achieved revenue growth of at least 15% over the business’ prior complete fiscal year are eligible for 50% of eligible project costs to a maximum of $25,000 CAD per fiscal year. The business must validate that minimum revenue growth by providing NSBI with any one of the following:
- Review engagement financial statements for its previous complete fiscal year;
- Copies of the GST 34 return showing revenue on line 101 for its last complete fiscal year and the previous complete fiscal year; or
- Copies of the General Index of Financial Information form showing revenue on line 8299 for its last complete fiscal year and the previous complete fiscal year.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be engaged or plan to engage in commercial activities outside of Nova Scotia;
- Have the ability to attract financing for growth and development;
- Have a fully developed exportable product, service, technology, or intellectual property that can be sold into a target market outside of Nova Scotia;
- Have an export plan (refer to the Export Growth Program Guidelines for requirements)
- Demonstrate a clear link between the requested project funding and the plan and articulate how the funding for each project will increase export sales outside of Nova Scotia.
- Activities taking place within Canada will be considered (subject to provincial and federal COVID-19 protocols/restrictions).
- Projects that do not require physical presence internationally, such as virtual trade shows, will be considered.
- Many countries have put in place travel or border restrictions, such as movement restrictions and quarantines.
- Please refer to the Government of Canada’s link for the latest travel restrictions, exemptions and advice: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html.
- To limit the spread of COVID-19, the Government of Canada advises that Canadians avoid all non-essential travel outside the country until further notice.
- Project components that are of planned travel outside Canada WILL NOT be considered eligible for EGP at this time.
- Travel insurance providers no longer cover travel booked on or after March 13, 2020, when the official global travel advisory came into effect.
- New restrictions may be imposed with little warning. Travel plans may be severely disrupted and travelers may be forced to remain outside Canada longer than expected.
Applications for the Export Growth Program must be received by 5:00pm (Atlantic Standard Time) on January 15, 2021. All projects must be completed, and claims submitted before March 31, 2021.
Before You Apply
Please read the following prior to applying:
Applications for the Export Growth Program must be received by 5:00pm (Atlantic Standard Time) on January 15, 2021
Applications will ONLY be considered for travel before March 31, 2021.
Project funding is discretionary and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
The Government of Nova Scotia’s privacy information practices for websites and online services applies to Nova Scotia Business Incorporated (NSBI). By using NSBI websites and online services, you accept the terms of the NSBI Privacy statement and the privacy statement on the Government website.
If you do not wish to use the internet to provide personal information to NSBI for this online service, you will be able to provide the information in another manner, such as a fillable PDF.
By continuing with your application, you consent to NSBI releasing your contact information to any third-party service providers retained for the purposes of evaluation of the program. This consent is valid whether your application is successful or not. You agree to being contacted by any such third-party service providers and will cooperate with them in the collection of information for evaluation of the program.
You further agree to release NSBI and its staff from any claims, causes of action, suits, actions and liabilities of every nature and kind whatsoever arising from, as a result of or in any way related to the aforementioned authorized release of contact information and subsequent collection and use of information. If you do not consent to the disclosure of your contact information, you cannot participate in this application.
Two-Step Identity Verification
We use two-step verification for our online forms. Each time you apply or submit a claim, you will be asked to:
- Enter your NSBI Customer Number and your associated email address to receive a one-time PIN number
- Enter the one-time PIN number to verify your identity and gain access to the online form
IMPORTANT: If this is your first program with NSBI or you don’t know your NSBI Customer Number, please contact your Regional Business Development Advisor to request this information.
Submit a Claim
Other ways to apply
If you’re unable to use the online form, you can use the PDF Application Form. Submit your completed application and supporting documents according to the instructions on the form.
The PDF Application and Claim Forms are Adobe Fillable PDF forms. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and complete them. If you do not have the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it for free from Adobe's website.
You must save the file to your computer before completing it. You cannot complete it in a browser window because the information you enter may not save successfully.
Follow these steps:
- Right click on the applicable link below to save the form to your computer. (select "Save Link as" or "Save Target as"). Note where you save it.
- Launch Adobe Acrobat Reader and open the form from the location you saved it.
- Complete the form by entering information in the fillable fields. Be sure to save the form from time to time as you fill it in.
Fill and Sign
If you are using the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can Fill and Sign the form digitally. To do this follow these instructions:
- Click the "Fill & Sign" tool in the right-hand pane in Acrobat Reader (or choose "Tools" > "Fill & Sign" from the menu) You'll be asked to create your signature if one does not exist. You'll notice a "Sign" tool appear in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- When you are ready to sign, click “Sign” in the toolbar at the top of the page. Then draw, type, or choose an image for your signature if one doesn't already exist.
Once completed and signed, please submit your saved PDF file according to the instructions on the form.