Export Development Program
Grow your exports. Grow your business.
The Export Development Program (EDP) is for Nova Scotia businesses looking to:
- increase sales outside of Nova Scotia
- adopt technology and enhance e-commerce
- improve competitiveness
EDP offers three streams to support your business growth.
Stream 1: Travel and Virtual Trade Missions
- Travel to a market (within Canada ONLY at this time, based on federal COVID-19 travel guidelines) to attend a trade show, conference or to visit clients, potential partners or investors
- Participate in a virtual trade show, mission or conference
- Invite foreign clients, potential partners or investors to visit the business’ Nova Scotia facilities for the first time
Stream 2: Hire a Consultant
- Get expert help to address the challenges or barriers to selling your products/services outside of Nova Scotia
Stream 3: Digital Adoption
- Purchase software, hardware and platforms to enhance remote working productivity
- Implement e-commerce solutions and the digitization of internal operations
All eligible businesses can apply for up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $30,000 CAD across the three streams. For minimum project requirements and a full list of eligible costs, please refer to the Program Guidelines.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a Nova Scotia registered business in good standing (current registration on the Registry of Joint Stock Companies)
- have a permanent establishment in Nova Scotia
- have most workforce currently residing in Nova Scotia (some exceptions may apply, contact the Regional Business Development Advisor in your area to discuss)
- be engaged in, or have imminent plans to engage in, commercial activities outside of Nova Scotia, with fully developed exportable product(s), service(s), technology(ies), and/or intellectual property
- have a business plan and a strategy to sell products/services outside of Nova Scotia outlining the company’s target market and distribution channels; including challenges in the target market and how they will be overcome
Before You Apply
Please read the following documents to ensure you have all the required information available to you when completing the online form:
Applications for the Export Development program must be received by January 14, 2022 at 5 PM.
Applications will only be considered for projects completed between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022.
Two-Step Identity Verification
We use two-step verification for our online forms. Each time you apply or submit a claim, you will be asked to:
- Enter your NSBI Customer Number and your associated email address to receive a one-time code
- Enter the one-time code to verify your identity and gain access to the online form
IMPORTANT: If this is your first program with NSBI or you don’t know your NSBI Customer Number, please contact your Regional Business Development Advisor to request this information.
Other ways to apply
Other ways to apply:
If you’re unable to use the online form, you can use the PDF Application Form. Submit your completed application and supporting documents according to the instructions on the form.
The PDF Application Form is an Adobe Fillable PDF forms. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and complete it. If you do not have the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it for free from Adobe's website.
You must save the file to your computer before completing it. You cannot complete it in a browser window because the information you enter may not save successfully.
Follow these steps:
- Right click on the applicable link below to save the form to your computer. (select "Save Link as" or "Save Target as"). Note where you save it.
- Launch Adobe Acrobat Reader and open the form from the location you saved it.
- Complete the form by entering information in the fillable fields. Be sure to save the form from time to time as you fill it in.
Once completed and signed, please submit your saved PDF file according to the instructions on the form.