Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program
Eastlink TV IPF Program
NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: Announcing a deadline extension for the Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program. Extension to the Fund dates are: (1) Extend call for applications open date effective July 5, 2021 with a close date for applications of August 3, 2021 at 4:30 pm AST. The program application period to be open to productions that have commenced principal photography or key animation on or after May 1, 2021.
OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD: The Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program will be open to applications from May 17 through June 14, 2021, until 4:30 p.m.
- The program application period is open to productions that have commenced principal photography or key animation on or after May 1st, 2021.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding. Incomplete packages will be returned to the applicant with the missing information identified on the application checklist. These applications cannot be resubmitted until the next funding round.
What is the Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program?
The Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund through The Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program can help bring your animated and/or live-action TV series to life. Designed to finance Nova Scotian television productions, this program could provide you with an equity investment of up to $300,000 to a maximum of 20% of your total budget.
Start by ensuring your production is high in Canadian content. Application to the Program is a competitive process. View the Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program guidelines.
What's the connection between the Eastlink TV Independent Fund Program and the Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund?
June 9, 2016, Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund obtained certification from the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunication Commission (CRTC) as an independent production fund (IPF). Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund was incorporated by Nova Scotia Business Inc. on April 1, 2016 as a not-for-profit entity for the sole purpose of becoming an independent production fund. An IPF is required, as per the Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC, to administer certain program funds from a broadcasting distribution undertaking (BDU). With this certification, Nova Scotia Independent Production Fund can administer the Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program – a program funded solely by Eastlink as a BDU.
Eligibility is based on the following criteria:
- your production must be a scripted, fiction-based television program;
- it must be eligible for the Nova Scotia Film and Television Production Incentive Fund or the Digital Animation Tax Credit;
- your producer is Nova Scotian (preference will be given to productions with Nova Scotian writers or directors);
- you’re applying as a Nova Scotia company, majority owned by Nova Scotians;
- it must be an animated or live action production, whether it targets children and youth, or it’s scripted and fiction-based. Documentary, lifestyle, and factual programming aren’t eligible;
- at least 60% of your total budget must be spent on Nova Scotia labour, goods and services;
- you must provide written confirmation that the production will be available on a platform accessible by Canadians;
- you must achieve at least six out of ten points for Canadian content certification, as certified by CAVCO excluding the pilot projects recognized by the CRTC;
- co-productions and co-ventures are eligible, provided that the preceding conditions are met;
- the Nova Scotia applicant must own and control at least 20% of the rights to the production, with a corresponding share of revenues.
How to apply
- synopsis of the production;
- proposed locations and dates for shooting;
- list of Nova Scotians working in key roles;
- detailed production budget showing Nova Scotia labour and Nova Scotia expenditure by line item;
- completed related party transactions form;
- written confirmation that the production will be available on a platform accessible by Canadians;
- financial structure breaking out projected and committed funding;
- specifics regarding opportunity for recoupment of investment (markets identified for sales);
- formal business plan;
- formal marketing plan for production;
- most recent financial statements, shareholder, officer and director information, incorporation certificate, memorandum of association and articles of incorporation;
- all other information specifically requested in long-form application, including scripts and literary property agreements;
- letter of permission to discuss project with other financial participants.
Things to consider
The following items will be closely looked at during the assessment of your application:
- Nova Scotia labour as a percentage of your total budget;
- Nova Scotia expenditure as a percentage of your total budget;
- demonstrated opportunity for recoupment of investment;
- your business plan;
- your production marketing plan;
- Nova Scotia content (personnel);
- your funding history with The Eastlink TV Independent Production Fund Program (if applicable);
- your production company information, including your incorporation certificate, Memorandum of Association and Articles of Incorporation, current financial statements, a corporate profile, and a corporate chart that states all affiliated parties.
Before you begin, please ensure you fully understand all of the Guidelines.